Fyfield (St. Nicholas)
FYFIELD (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union and hundred of Ongar, S. division of Essex, 3 miles (N. E. by N.) from Ongar; containing 563 inhabitants, and comprising 2450a. 3r. 8p. This place is in the Domesday book styled Fifhide, a term supposed to be derived from the Saxon implying five, and hide, a certain quantity of land; soon after the Conquest, it belonged principally to Eustace, Earl of Boulogne. The circumference of the parish is nearly eight miles. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £25. 7. 6., and in the gift of L. Pola, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £720, and the glebe contains 63 acres. The church is an ancient cruciform structure, with a central tower of wood, replacing the original tower of stone, which fell down; the interior displays many interesting details of early English architecture, and the east window is of very rich design. A national school is endowed with land given for instruction, by Dr. Walker, in 1692, and now producing £46. 10. per annum. Many Roman coins and other relics have been found.