Funtington (St. Mary)
FUNTINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of West Bourne, hundred of Bosham, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex, 5 miles (W. N. W.) from Chichester; containing 983 inhabitants. The parish consists of the tythings of Funtington and East and West Ashling, and contains several seats and villas; the soil is a rich gravel, and there are extensive chalkpits, and a mill for the manufacture of paper. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Chichester; impropriator, Miss Woods, whose tithes have been commuted for £980. The church is in the early English style, and consists of a nave, chancel, and aisles, with an embattled tower. At Sennicots, in the parish, is a chapel erected and endowed in 1829, by C. Baker, Esq. Several bequests have been left to the poor, amounting to about £30 per annum.