Fulford (St. Oswald)
FULFORD (St. Oswald), a parish, in the union of York, wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, E. riding of York; containing 1305 inhabitants, of whom 37 are in the township of Fulford-Water, and 1268 in the township of Fulford-Gate, 2 miles (S.) from York, on the road to Selby. The parish is bounded on the west by the navigable river Ouse, and comprises 1141 acres of land, considerably enhanced in value by its contiguity to the city. Two-thirds are arable, and the remainder fine meadow, with a little wood: the surface is level, and the soil of various qualities, but all productive; and there are good gravel-pits for roads. The village is large and handsome, forming part of the suburbs of York, and including within its limits the York public cemetery, the York barracks, and a lunatic asylum called the Retreat, belonging to the Society of Friends. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £96; patron, John Key, Esq.: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1757. The church, situated on the river side, is a small ancient edifice with a brick tower. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.