Frystone, Ferry (St. Andrew)
FRYSTONE, FERRY (St. Andrew), a parish, in the Upper division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, W. riding of York, ¾ of a mile (W. N. W.) from FerryBridge; containing 951 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated in the fertile vale of the Aire, comprises 3040a. 3r. 18p.; the surface is varied, and the surrounding scenery abounds with interesting features. Magnesian limestone is extensively quarried for building and other purposes, and considerable quantities of fine casting sand are sent to the various foundries in the neighbourhood. The York and North-Midland railway enters the parish by a magnificent viaduct, and traverses the northern parts of it. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 19. 2.; patrons, the Sub-Chanter and Vicars Choral of the Cathedral of York: the great tithes have been commuted for £405. 5., and the vicarial for £192. 5. 10.; the glebes respectively comprise 64 and 75 acres. The church is an ancient and very handsome structure in the Norman style, with a tower, and is romantically situated on the bank of the Aire. There are several barrows, in one of which was found the skeleton of a man in full armour, in 1820.