Froxfield (All Saints)
FROXFIELD (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Hungerford, hundred of Kinwardstone, Marlborough and Ramsbury, and S. divisions of Wilts, 2½ miles (W. by S.) from Hungerford; containing, with the tythings of Hughditch, Oakhill, and Rudge, 625 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises 2000 acres, nearly all arable, is intersected by the road from Bath to London; and within half a mile of the village runs the Kennet and Avon canal. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 16. 4.; net income, £122; patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor; impropriator, J. Hasker, Esq. A noble almshouse was founded in 1686, by Sarah, Duchess Dowager of Somerset, who bequeathed considerable property for its erection, and for the maintenance of 30 widows, the number to be increased to 50 when the revenue should exceed £400 per annum. Twenty apartments were added to the original building in 1775, and the whole now forms an oblong quadrangle, with a small chapel within it, erected at the expense of the Marquess of Ailesbury, and the minister of which has a stipend of £70. Thirty widows of clergymen, and twenty widows of laymen, not having an income of more than £20, are eligible to the charity, and the allowance to each is £40 a year.