Frowlesworth (St. Nicholas)
FROWLESWORTH (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Lutterworth, hundred of Guthlaxton, S. division of the county of Leicester, 4¾ miles (N. W. by N.) from Lutterworth; containing 318 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the west by the ancient Fosse-way, comprises 1496a. 1r. 14p.; the surface is finely varied with hills, on one of which the village is pleasantly situated. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 10., and in the patronage of the Rev. S. L. Nobles: the tithes have been commuted for £400, and the glebe comprises 58a. 2r. The church is a neat and very ancient structure, the tower of which was rebuilt in 1762. Twenty-two almshouses, forming three sides of a square, were erected at various periods, under a bequest, in 1725, by John Smith, chief baron of His Majesty's exchequer in Scotland, who for some time lived, and was buried here; the almswomen are allowed £20 per annum each.