Froome, Castle (St. Michael)
FROOME, CASTLE (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Ledbury, hundred of Radlow, county of Hereford, 7 miles (N. N. W.) from Ledbury; containing 183 inhabitants. This parish, which is watered by the river Froome, comprises 1474 acres. The surface is varied with hill and dale; the soil is a rich loam, alternated with clay, resting on a limestone-gravel, in the arable lands, and the meadow and pasture lands are luxuriant. The road from Ledbury to Bromyard intersects the parish from south to north. There are extensive quarries of limestone, and of freestone of good quality for building. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 13. 4., and in the gift of the Rev. W. J. Lyell: the tithes have been commuted for £270, and the glebe contains 55¾ acres.