Frodesley (St. Mark)
FRODESLEY (St. Mark), a parish, in the union of Atcham, hundred of Condover, S. division of Salop, 8¾ miles (W. by N.) from Wenlock; containing 214 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 2200 acres; the surface is hilly, and the soil various, in some parts a rich black loam, and in others clayey. Mines of coal were opened many years since, but the working of them was soon discontinued; they were re-opened in 1833, and a small mine is now in operation: the coal, in burning, emits a strong sulphureous smell. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 14.; net income, £370; patron and incumbent, the Rev. T. Gleadow. The church was rebuilt in 1809, in a neat style. Two ancient mansions, called respectively the Hall and Lodge, of which the former was of great antiquity, and the latter was surrounded by a park of 360 acres now thrown open, are both farmhouses. Near the Lodge is a votive altar to the goddesses of Britain, inscribed in Roman characters, with the name of L. Caractacus; it is of cubic form, and placed on a pedestal of a different kind of stone. The Roman Watling street, in the line of the present turnpike-road, runs through the parish.