Friston (St. Mary)
FRISTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Plomesgate, E. division of Suffolk, 3 miles (S. E.) from Saxmundham; containing 455 inhabitants. This parish, which is partly bounded on the south by the river Alde, comprises about 1400 acres. The surface is varied; in the lower grounds, the soil is partly marshy, and partly a fertile loam, comprising a considerable tract of good arable land. The living is a vicarage, with that of Snape consolidated, valued in the king's books at £5; net income, £194; patron and impropriator, R. W. H. H. Vyse, Esq. The church is a small building, serving, from its elevated situation, as a landmark to mariners.