Fressingfield (St. Peter and St. Paul)
FRESSINGFIELD (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union and hundred of Hoxne, E. division of Suffolk, 4½ miles (S.) from Harleston; containing 1456 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 4567 acres, of which 2568 are arable, 946 meadow and pasture, 135 woodland, and 660 common. A cattle-fair is held on the 29th of May. Whittingham Hall, from which a hamlet in the parish takes its name, was a noble mansion with a chapel attached to it, situated in grounds surrounded by a moat; the chief remains are the stabling, now converted into a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage, with the rectory of Withersdale annexed, valued in the king's books at £17. 17. 1., and in the gift of Emmanuel College, Cambridge; impropriator, Henry Newton Heale, Esq.: the great tithes have been commuted for £919, and the vicarial for £400; the glebe comprises 5½ acres. The church is an ancient structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower and a handsome south porch; and contains an altar-tomb to the memory of Archbishop Sancroft, who, retiring from public life, spent the remainder of his days in this his native parish, where he was buried. There is a place of worship for Baptists. A school was founded by the archbishop, who bequeathed to it rents amounting to £52 per annum.