Freshford (St. Peter)
FRESHFORD (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Bradford, hundred of Bath-Forum, E. division of Somerset, 4¾ miles (S. E.) from Bath; containing 645 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated in a district abounding with beautiful scenery, comprises 563a. 3r. 25p.; the surface is hilly, the soil fertile, and the population, with the exception of about 100 persons employed in the manufacture of fine broad-cloth, is agricultural. Bath-freestone, limestone, and fullers'-earth are found in the hills. The river Frome pursues a winding course from south to north-west, and falls into the Avon, which bounds the parish on the north; the Kennet and Avon canal passes in a direction parallel with the Avon, and within half a mile of the village, which is situated on the southern declivity of a richly-wooded eminence. The living is a discharged rectory, with that of Woodwick united in 1448, valued in the king's books at £7. 7. 8½., and in the gift of the incumbent, the Rev. W. Boyle, whose tithes have been commuted for £165, and whose glebe comprises 32 acres. The church is a very neat structure. No remains exist of the ancient church of Woodwick; but in a field near the site some old tombstones have been found. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. On Staples Hill is a hot spring, supposed to resemble the springs of Bath. The ruins of a hermitage and friary, probably connected with Hinton Abbey, may still be seen; as may also the remains of a Roman encampment.