Frensham (St. Mary)
FRENSHAM (St. Mary), a parish, partly in the hundred of Alton, Alton and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, and partly in the hundred of Farnham, W. division of Surrey, 4 miles (S.) from Farnham; containing, with the tythings of Churt and Pitfold, 1583 inhabitants, of whom 700 are in the tything of Frensham. The parish comprises 11,151 acres, of which about one-third is inclosed and cultivated, and the greater part of the remainder waste; the soil is generally sandy, with some portions of clay. The surface is hilly; the low grounds are watered by the river Wye, and there are two extensive sheets of water called Frensham ponds. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £106; patron, the Rev. Richard Stephens: the tithes have been commuted for £660, and the glebe comprises 5 acres. The church, a handsome structure in the later English style, was enlarged in 1827. A chapel has been erected at Churt; and there is a small place of worship in the parish for Bryanites. Near Manor Hill is a mineral spring.