FRECKLETON, a township, in the ecclesiastical parish of Warton, parish of Kirkham, union of the Fylde, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of Lancashire, 2 miles (S.) from Kirkham; containing 995 inhabitants. It is supposed that Freckleton was a Roman town, built with seven others in the autumn of the year 79; it was probably the Setantiorum of Ptolemy, placed by most antiquaries near the mouth of the Ribble. A castle is reported to have stood here in Roman times, until it was washed away by the fury of the tides. In the Domesday survey the township is called Frecheltun; a local family of the name is mentioned in the 3rd year of John's reign, and its descendants were resident in the 30th of Elizabeth, 1587. The township lies near the Neb of the Nase, a small promontory extending into the estuary of the Ribble, nearly opposite to Hesketh Bank, to which there is a passage over the sands at low water. It comprises 1774 acres of good land in equal portions of arable and pasture; the surface is level, the soil clay, and the scenery extensive. A sacking and sailcloth manufactory is carried on, and there is a ship-building yard. Vessels of 100 tons' burthen can come up to Freckleton Pool at high water, and barges bring coal from Wigan. The village is of irregular form, but several of the houses are well built; and a portion of the Nase has been laid out for villas and cottages by Mr. Myres, civil engineer, of Preston. A church, named Trinity Church, was built in 1842, by subscription, at a cost of £2000, on a site given by Hugh Hornby, Esq., of Liverpool, who owns one-half of the township; it is in the Norman style, with a square tower and spire: attached to it are excellent schools. The living is in the gift of the Vicar of Kirkham. The tithes have been commuted for £190 payable to the Dean and Chapter of ChristChurch, Oxford, and £123. 13. 4. to the vicar of Kirkham. The Wesleyans have a place of worship.