Freckenham (St. Andrew)
FRECKENHAM (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Mildenhall, hundred of Lackford, W. division of Suffolk, 3¼ miles (S. W. by W.) from Mildenhall; containing 495 inhabitants. The river Lark is navigable on the north of the parish, where it receives a smaller stream, which runs through the village. The living comprises a discharged vicarage and a rectory, the former valued in the king's books at £3. 15. 2½., and the latter at £16. 11. 5½.; net income, £600; patrons, the Master and Fellows of Peter House, Cambridge: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1815. Near the church is a mound surrounded by a wide and deep ditch, probably the site of some ancient fortification.