Frampton-on-Severn (St. Mary)
FRAMPTON-on-Severn (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Wheatenhurst, Lower division of the hundred of Whitestone, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 7 miles (N. by W.) from Dursley; containing 1051 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from its situation on the Frome, and on the east bank of the river Severn, is memorable as the scene of a sanguinary battle in the year 904, when the Danes, being overtaken here by an army of Mercians and West. Angles, were totally routed, and three of their chieftains slain. The village is near the Gloucester and Berkeley canal; and fairs for cattle and sheep are held in it on the 8th of February and of September. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 11., and has a net income of £330; the patronage and impropriation belong to Miss Ann Wicks: the tithes were commuted for land in 1813. The church is partly in the decorated English style, with an embattled tower, and contains several monuments of the Clifford family. There is a place of worship for Independents.