Frampton (St. Mary)
FRAMPTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Boston, wapentake of Kirton, parts of Holland, county of Lincoln, 3¼ miles (S.) from Boston; containing 784 inhabitants. The parish is intersected by the road between London and Boston, and comprises 4964a. 3r. 16p., of which about 3000 acres are arable and in cultivation, and the remainder fen and marsh; 500 acres form a salt-marsh grazed by sheep at low water. The surface is perfectly level, and the soil a rich loam, alternated with stiff clay and sand. Several large drains intersect the parish, among which are the North and South Forty-foot, and the Hammond beck. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £18. 19. 4.; net income, £109; patron and impropriator, C. Keightley Tunnard, Esq. The church is in the early English style, with a decorated chancel and south transept, and a tower and spire at the west end erected probably about 1250; the chancel was built between 1300 and 1400. There is an endowed school, for which a building was erected at an expense of £800, defrayed chiefly from the accumulated savings of property producing £114 per annum. An allotment of land yields a rent of about £38, which is distributed among the poor in coal; and other bequests, producing £30 yearly, are given away in money.