Foxton, with Shotton
FOXTON, with Shotton, a township, in the parish and union of Sedgefield, N. E. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 9 miles (N. W. by W.) from Stockton; containing 44 inhabitants. The manor of "Foxdene" belonged to the Knights Templars, whose possessions, on the dissolution of their order, were transferred to the Knights Hospitallers of St. John; among the families who formerly held lands here, was that of Elstob, of whom were William and Elizabeth Elstob, celebrated Saxon scholars, at the beginning of the last century. The Setons were also owners of property in the place at an early period. The township comprises about 1787 acres of rather poor land, and is intersected by the Clarence railway. The hamlet of Foxton is about three miles south of Sedgefield. The tithes have been commuted for £82.