Foston-upon-the-Wolds (St. Andrew)
FOSTON-upon-the-Wolds (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Driffield, wapentake of Dickering, E. riding of York; containing, with the townships of Brigham, Gembling, and Great Kelk, 792 inhabitants, of whom 344 are in the township of Foston, 6½ miles (E. S. E.) from Driffield. The parish comprises by computation 4750 acres, of which about 1300 are in Foston township; of these latter, 250 are pasture, 20 wood, and the remainder arable land. The surface is level and open, and the soil clay, intermixed with sand. The village is pleasantly situated on a stream celebrated for its trout, flowing into the river Hull, and on the banks of which is a very extensive flour-mill, to which vessels of 60 tons' burthen have access. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £15. 18. 6½.; net income, £102; patron, the Rev. R. Otterburn; the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1776. The church is an ancient and venerable structure, in the later English style, with a lofty embattled tower: in the churchyard is the mutilated figure of a crusader. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans; and three almshouses for widows, endowed by Mrs. Ann Walker in 1717.