FORTON, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Alverstoke, liberty of Alverstoke and Gosport, Fareham and S. divisions of the county of Southampton. The church, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, is a handsome edifice completed at a cost of £3775, raised by subscription, aided by a grant from the Parliamentary Commissioners; it was consecrated in April, 1831, and a district containing 2300 inhabitants has been assigned to it. The organ originally belonged to the celebrated Handel, and was formerly in the Roman Catholic chapel at Winchester; the Rev. H. A. Veck purchased it, and placed it here, and that gentleman's mother and sisters presented the communion-plate, which is very elegant. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150; patron, the Rector of Alverstoke: there is a small plot of glebe.See Gosport.