FORTON, a township, in the union of Garstang, partly in the parish of Cockerham, hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, and partly in the parish of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 4 miles (N.) from Garstang, on the road to Lancaster; containing 679 inhabitants. This place is often coupled with Cleveley, but is an independent township, and was formerly a part of the constablewick of Garstang. In the 35th of Henry VIII. the crown granted the manor, then belonging to the abbot of Cockersand, to Thomas Holt: the land is now held by numerous proprietors. The township comprises 1255 acres, and contains several good stone-quarries. The Lancaster and Preston railway and canal both pass through. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans, the former of comparatively ancient date, and the latter built about thirty years ago.