Forthampton (St. Mary)
FORTHAMPTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Tewkesbury, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 1½ mile (W.) from Tewkesbury; containing 460 inhabitants. This place was the property of the abbots of Tewkesbury, who had a residence here, now converted into a family mansion called Forthampton Court. The parish is bounded on the north by the road from Tewkesbury to Ledbury, and intersected by that from Gloucester to Worcester, through Upton; it comprises about 2390 acres by admeasurement, of which 1053 are arable, 1003 pasture, and 37 wood. The surface is gently undulated, with the exception of some level meadow-land on the bank of the Severn. The scenery is agreeably diversified with wood and water, and the soil is generally a rich marly loam, resting upon red sandstone; gypsum and blue lias also exist, in the latter of which remains of the ichthyosaurus have been found. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £138; patron, J. Yorke, Esq.: the glebe contains 84 acres, of which 49 are in the parish of Badgeworth.