Fornham (All Saints)
FORNHAM (All Saints), a parish, in the union and hundred of Thingoe, W. division of Suffolk, 2¼ miles (N. N. W.) from Bury St. Edmund's; containing 336 inhabitants. This parish, which is intersected by the river Lark, comprises about 1698 acres; the surface is generally flat, but, towards the south, rises into an eminence of considerable elevation called Fort Hill. The living is a rectory, with that of Westley annexed, valued in the king's books at £19. 10. 5., and in the patronage of Clare Hall, Cambridge: the tithes have been commuted for £440. 15. 10., and the glebe comprises 14½ acres. The church is an ancient structure, chiefly in the early English style. Here was a priory of Friars Minors, who first established themselves at Bury, but, being compelled by the abbot to remove, settled here; the remains are now converted into a dwelling-house.