Forest-Hill (St. Nicholas)
FOREST-HILL (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Headington, hundred of Bullington, county of Oxford, 4 miles (E. by N.) from Oxford; containing 149 inhabitants. This place, which was a cell to the abbey of Osney, is associated with the memory of Milton, as the birthplace of his first wife, who was born here on the 28th January, 1625. It was the frequent resort of the poet, and ultimately his entire property, of which, in consideration of some pecuniary claims upon the manor, and also of his marriage into the Powell family, he was put into possession during the protectorate of Cromwell, in 1650. Much of the beautiful imagery in his writings, and especially in his L'Allegro, corresponds with the scenery of the place; and there are still some remains of the house of Mr. Powell, his wife's father. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £85; patrons and impropriators, the Rector and Fellows of Lincoln College, Oxford. The church is a plain edifice. Mickle, the translator of the Lusiad of Camoens, was interred in the churchyard.