Foremark (St. Saviour)
FOREMARK (St. Saviour), a parish, in the union of Burton-upon-Trent, hundred of Repton and Gresley, S. division of the county of Derby, 7 miles (S. S. W.) from Derby; containing, with the township of Ingleby, 212 inhabitants. The parish is intersected by the river Trent: the surface is hilly, and the soil, which is rich and fertile, is chiefly pasture-land; it is well wooded, principally with oak. The living is a donative curacy; net income, £30; patron and impropriator, Sir Robert Burdett, Bart. The old church, which was an appendage to the priory of Repton, stood in the hamlet of Ingleby, on the bank of the Trent, about one mile to the east; but falling into decay, the present church, a plain small edifice, was erected by Sir Francis Burdett, then possessor of Foremark, at an expense of £2000, and consecrated in 1666. Sir Robert allows £10 per annum to teach twelve scholars: a new school-house was built in 1845. In the parish is a singular rocky bank, the centre of which, presenting the appearance of an edifice in ruins, tradition asserts to have been the residence of an anchorite, whence it has derived the name of Anchor Church.