Fordham, or Great Fordham (All Saints)
FORDHAM, or Great Fordham (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Lexden and Winstree, Colchester division of the hundred of Lexden, N. division of Essex, 6 miles (N. W. by W.) from Colchester; containing 739 inhabitants. The parish is separated from that of Aldham by the river Colne, and comprises 2517 acres, of which 2083 are arable, 112 pasture, 60 woodland, and 50 heath; the land lies high, and the soil is a loam, mixed with gravel. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 4. 2., and in the gift alternately of Earl de Grey, and C. S. Onley, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £750, and the glebe comprises 25 acres. The church, an ancient edifice with a tower surmounted by a wooden spire, is pleasantly situated on an eminence, and contains some monuments. William Ellis, in 1791, bequeathed £10 per annum for instruction.