Ford (St. Michael)
FORD (St. Michael), a parish, in the union, and W. division of the ward, of Glendale, N. division of Northumberland, 9 miles (N. N. W.) from Wooler; containing 2257 inhabitants. On the western side of the village is Ford Castle, erected in 1287 by Sir William Heron, and rebuilt by the late Lord Delaval; two towers, the remains of the former castle, are retained in the present structure. The castle was demolished by the Scots in 1385, under the Earls of Fife, March, and Douglas; prior to the battle of Flodden, it was captured by James IV.'s troops; and in 1549 it was again taken by the Scots, who destroyed a great part of it. The parish contains a considerable quantity of coal, limestone, whinstone, freestone, and slate. Courts leet and baron are held about Easter. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £24; patron, the Marquess of Waterford. There are places of worship for Baptists and Presbyterians, and several charity schools. Flodden-Field, in the parish, was the scene of the celebrated battle fought on the 9th of Sept. 1513, by the Scots under James IV., and the English commanded by the Earl of Surrey, the former of whom were defeated, and their king slain; the top of the hill is now covered with fir-trees. As some workmen were digging in a field near Flodden, in 1810, they discovered a large pit filled with human bones.