Fonthill, Bishop's (All Saints)
FONTHILL, BISHOP'S (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Tisbury, hundred of Downton, locally in the hundred of Mere, Hindon and S. divisions of Wilts, 1½ mile (E. by N.) from Hindon; containing 207 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from London to Exeter, and comprises 1729 acres, of which 552 are waste or common: of the cultivated lands, twothirds are arable, and the rest pasture and wood; the soil is light and gravelly, and in many parts chalk abounds. The surface is beautifully varied with hill and dale; it is diversified by woods, chiefly of beech and elm, and in Fonthill Park, the seat of James Morrison, Esq., is a lake a mile in length. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10, and in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester: the tithes have been commuted for £258, and the glebe comprises about 4½ acres. The church is principally in the early English style, with an old Norman tower. Samuel Gattrell in 1817 left a dividend of £10. 10., for a school.