Folkton (St. John the Evangelist)
FOLKTON (St. John the Evangelist), a parish, in the union of Scarborough, wapentake of Dickering, E. riding of York; containing, with the township of Flixton, 580 inhabitants, of whom 251 are in the township of Folkton, 3 miles (N. W.) from Hunmanby. The parish comprises by computation 2500 acres: the village, which is neatly built, is situated in a pleasant valley on the northern side of the Wolds. The living is a rectory and vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 11. 10½.; net income, £900; patron, Capt. Robert Mitford, R.N.: the tithes were commuted for land and money payments in 1802. The church is an ancient structure, with a low tower.