Folkington (St. Peter)
FOLKINGTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Eastbourne, hundred of Longbridge, rape of Pevensey, E. division of Sussex, 18 miles (S. S. E.) from Uckfield; containing 198 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Lewes to Eastbourne, comprises about 1450 acres: the surface is hilly, and from the higher grounds are some of the finest views in the county; the soil is chalky. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £12, and in the gift of Earl Delawarr: the tithes have been commuted for £200, and the glebe comprises 10 acres. The church is in the early English style, with later insertions, and contains good monuments to Sir William and Lesley Thomas, formerly proprietors of the manor. Three almshouses, founded by Sir William, were re-established by his descendant, the late W. Harison, Esq. On the downs above the village are two large barrows.