Foleshill (St. Lawrence)
FOLESHILL (St. Lawrence), a parish, and the head of a union, in the Kirby division of the hundred of Knightlow, N. division of the county of Warwick, 2½ miles (N. E. by N.) from Coventry; containing 7063 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Coventry to Leicester, and comprises about 3000 acres. About two-thirds of the population are employed in the ribbon manufacture, which is extensively carried on, and the remainder in agriculture and in collieries; coal of good quality being found. The Coventry and Oxford canal passes through the parish. The living is a vicarage not in charge, in the patronage of the Crown, and the impropriation belongs to Mrs. Swain: the great tithes have been commuted for £75, and the vicarial for £353. 14.; the glebe comprises 37 acres. The church, an ancient edifice, was enlarged in 1816 by the erection of a south aisle, of brick. A district church dedicated to St. Paul was erected in 1841, at a cost of £2904, raised by subscription, aided by a grant of £500 from the Incorporated Society; it is a neat edifice in the early English style, with a tower and pinnacles, and has 1088 sittings, of which 680 are free. The living is in the patronage of the Vicar, with a net income of £180. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans; and a parochial school, endowed with £30 per annum by the Parrott family, is conducted on the national system. The union of Foleshill comprises 11 parishes or places, containing a population of 17,235.