FLOCKTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Thornhill, union of Wakefield, Lower division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 7 miles (S. W. by W.) from Wakefield; containing 1096 inhabitants. This chapelry, which is the property of T. Wentworth Beaumont, Esq., lord of the manor, comprises Nether and Over Flockton, and contains by measurement 1006 acres; the soil is fertile, and the substratum chiefly coal of the finest quality, of which extensive mines are in operation, affording employment to a large portion of the population. The village extends along the road from Barnsley to Huddersfield. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of certain Trustees, with a net income of £94, and a parsonage-house, lately built: the chapel, erected by Richard Carter, Esq., is a neat edifice in the Grecian style, with a campanile turret, and has an excellent organ. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans. Three almshouses were founded by Mr. Carter, in 1698.