Flixton (St. Mary)
FLIXTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Wangford, E. division of Suffolk, 3 miles (S. W.) from Bungay; containing 192 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the north by the river Waveney, which separates it from the county of Norfolk. Flixton Hall, erected in 1545 by Sir John Tasburgh, and accidentally destroyed by fire in Dec. 1846, was a fine old mansion, in the Elizabethan style, situated in an extensive park, well stocked with deer, and containing some stately trees. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6; patrons and impropriators, the family of Adair: the great tithes have been commuted for £200, and the small for £145; the vicar has also 30 acres of glebe. The church is an ancient structure, with additions, and chiefly in the later English style; the chancel is dilapidated, and covered with ivy. An Augustine nunnery was founded here by Margery, Baroness Creke, in 1258, to the honour of St. Mary and St. Katherine; it was valued at the Dissolution at £23. 4. 1½. per annum.