Flixton (St. Michael)
FLIXTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire; containing, with the township of Urmston, 2230 inhabitants, of whom 1459 are in the township of Flixton, 7 miles (W. S. W.) from Manchester. This place, anciently spelt Flyxton, and subsequently called Fleece Town, was part of the lands which Roger de Poictou gave to the barons of Manchester. The manor afterwards belonged, in whole or in part, to various families, among whom were the Egertons, of Cheshire; during the last century the estates passed to several purchasers, and much of the land is now freehold inheritance. The whole of the southern boundary of the parish is washed by the Mersey, as is the north-western boundary by the Irwell, and the angle of confluence formed by these rivers is little more than a quarter of a mile below Irlam ferry. The area is 2962 acres, of which the township of Flixton contains 1455a. 2r. 12p.; of the latter number, 431 acres are arable, 167 clover, and 744 general meadow and pasture. The surface is mostly level, and the soil in some parts inclines to a peaty moss: corn, fruit, and potatoes are produced in abundance. Flixton House is a plain family mansion with extensive gardens and pleasure-grounds: Shaw Hall, near the small hamlet of Shawtown, is a venerable edifice of the reign of James I., with gables and wooden parapets on the south-west and north sides; the roof has a profusion of chimneys, and a cupola in the centre. The village of Flixton is delightfully situated upon a verdant eminence; the population are largely employed in hand-loom weaving.
The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £150; patron and impropriator, the Rev. Spencer Madan, Prebendary of Lichfield Cathedral: the parsonage-house was built about twenty years ago. The church is a small plain structure, standing on an elevated site at the eastern extremity of the village; the tower, though not lofty, is handsome, having an embattled parapet, surmounted by small pinnacles: with the exception of the chancel, the edifice was entirely rebuilt in 1732. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a school is endowed with £5. 10. per annum. Adjoining the ample gardens and filbert-grove of Shaw Hall, was once a moat which has partly disappeared.