Flixborough (All Saints)
FLIXBOROUGH (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Glandford-Brigg, N. division of the wapentake of Manley, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 12 miles (N. W. by W.) from Glandford-Brigg; containing, with part of Crosby township, 231 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the west by the river Trent, comprises 2550 acres. The soil varies from clay to sand and gravel, and near the river is very fertile; the surface is undulated, and, about half a mile from the bank of the Trent, rises by a gradual ascent to the village. The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of Burton-upon-Stather consolidated in 1729, and is valued in the king's books at £13. 10.; net income, £752; patron, and impropriator of the vicarage, Sir Robert Sheffield, Bart. The tithes have been commuted for £550, and the glebe comprises 23 acres. There are the sites of two castles remaining, one of which is supposed to have been the residence of Sir Edmund Anderson, Bart., a chief justice of the common pleas in the reign of Elizabeth, who was born at this place.