Flitwick (St. Peter and St. Paul)
FLITWICK (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Ampthill, hundred of Redbornestoke, county of Bedford, 2¾ miles (S. by W.) from Ampthill; containing 693 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2235 acres; there are some pits of excellent gravel. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 17.; net income, £285; patron, John Thomas Dawson, Esq.: the tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1806. The church is an ancient structure, containing some interesting details, among which is a handsome Norman arch at the north doorway. A monastery, or cell to Dunstable Priory, was erected here in 1170, by Philip de Sannerville.