Flitton (St. John the Baptist)
FLITTON (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Ampthill, hundred of Flint, county of Bedford; containing, with the hamlet of Silsoe, 1363 inhabitants, of whom 575 are in the township of Flitton. The parish comprises 1020a. 33p., of which 611 acres are arable, 372 pasture, and 8 woodland; the soil is a sandy loam. Southward from the village, which was anciently called Flitcham, is Pallox Hill, remarkable in the beginning of the last century for a gold-mine discovered in it, which was seized for the king, and leased to a refiner, but the produce being inconsiderable, soon abandoned. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £11. 7. 8.; net income, £234; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford: the tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1809. The church, an ancient edifice, contains several monuments, amongst which is a figure in brass of Thomas Hill, who died in 1601, at the age of 128 years. At Silsoe is a separate incumbency, in the gift of Earl de Grey.