Fleet (Holy Trinity)
FLEET (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Weymouth, hundred of Uggscombe, Dorchester division of Dorset, 3 miles (W. by N.) from Weymouth; containing 140 inhabitants. This parish, which is supposed to take its name from the Fleet water, near which it is situated, belonged to the priory of Christchurch, in the county of Hants. A market and a fair, granted in the 28th of Henry III., have been long discontinued. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8.; patron, Miss Jackson: the tithes have been commuted for £31, and the glebe comprises 10 acres. The church, a small edifice, was destroyed, with part of the adjacent houses, by an inundation of the sea during a storm in 1824, and has been handsomely rebuilt in the later English style.