Fleckney (St. Nicholas)
FLECKNEY (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Harborough, hundred of Gartree, S. division of the county of Leicester, 8 miles (N. W. by W.) from Harborough; containing 473 inhabitants. The parish is situated near the Leicester and Northampton canal, and three miles from the Leicester and Harborough road. It comprises by computation 1255 acres, of which the portions of arable and pasture are nearly equal; the soil in some parts is a strong loam, with a clay subsoil, and in other parts a strong cold clay. The Union canal passes on the east. The living is a curacy, in the patronage of Lady Byron, with a net income of £144: the tithes were commuted for land in 1769. The church is a small ancient edifice, in the early English style. There is a place of worship for Baptists.