Flaxley (St. Catherine)
FLAXLEY (St. Catherine), a parish, in the union of Westbury, hundred of St. Briavell's, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Newnham; containing 229 inhabitants. It has smelting works which produce weekly 20 tons of pig-iron of excellent quality. The living is a donative; net income, £104; patron, Sir M. H. Boevy, Bart. The church was rebuilt in 1730. In the reign of Stephen an abbey for Cistercian monks, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, was built here by Robert Fitz-Milo, second earl of Hereford, the revenue of which, at the Dissolution, amounted to £112. 13. 1.: the chief part was burnt down in 1777, but the building has been restored.