Fishlake (St. Cuthbert)
FISHLAKE (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the union of Thorne, S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York; containing, with the chapelry of Sykehouse, 1257 inhabitants, of whom 629 are in the township of Fishlake, 4½ miles (W.) from Thorne. The parish comprises 3665a. 2r., of which the soil is a strong loam, well adapted for the growth of wheat; the surface is level and well wooded, and the surrounding scenery varied. The lands, which were subject to inundation from the Dutch river, on the south-east, are protected by an embankment, thrown up by Cornelius Vermuyden, in 1600. The village is large, and pleasantly situated on the north bank of the Don. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 3. 9.; net income, £171; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Durham: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1811. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a lofty embattled tower; it was thoroughly repaired in 1840. There is a chapel at Sykehouse; and the Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans have each a place of worship. The Rev. Richard Rands, in 1641, endowed a school with land now producing £110 per annum, exclusive of a house, stable, and garden, occupied by the master; and the poor have the rents of land, and the interest of money, arising from various bequests.