Fisherton-De-La-Mere (St. Nicholas)
FISHERTON-DE-LA-MERE (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Wilton, hundred of Warminster, Warminster and S. divisions of Wilts, 5 miles (S. E. by E.) from Heytesbury; containing, with the hamlet of Bapton, 324 inhabitants. It is intersected by the road from Salisbury to Bath, and comprises about 3000 acres, chiefly arable: the surface is undulated, and the soil chalky. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 17.; patron and impropriator, John Davis, Esq. The tithes have been commuted for £142, and the glebe comprises about 20 acres. The church, an ancient structure in the Norman style, was rebuilt, with the exception of the chancel, at the expense of the late Mr. Davis, in 1833.