Firsby (St. Andrew)
FIRSBY (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Spilsby, Wold division of the wapentake of Candleshoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 5 miles (S. E. by S.) from Spilsby; containing 196 inhabitants. It comprises 1066 acres by measurement: the soil of the arable grounds is a stiffish clay; there are some good pastures, and a considerable portion of inferior meadow and marsh, recently much improved by draining. The Steeping river flows through the lands. The living is a discharged rectory, with the vicarage of Great Steeping united, valued in the king's books at £12. 0. 2.; patron, the Rev. Joseph Walls; impropriator, J. Maddison, Esq. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £19. 10., and the rectorial for £182. 10.; the glebe comprises 11 acres. The church is a neat structure. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. The sum of £12. 13., arising from three bequests of land by unknown benefactors, is annually distributed among the poor. Near the church is a spring, slightly chalybeate.