Firle, West (St. Peter)
FIRLE, WEST (St. Peter), a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Totnore, rape of Pevensey, E. division of Sussex, 4 miles (S. E. by E.) from Lewes; containing 722 inhabitants. This parish, which is on the road from Lewes to Eastbourne, comprises by measurement 3208 acres, exclusively of woodland; 1108 are arable, 1326 meadow, 769 down, and 5 gardens. Firle Park, the seat of Viscount Gage, is a spacious and handsome residence, situated in a well-wooded park, within the limits of which is the church. The village is pleasantly seated under the South Downs, whose summit here, called Firle Beacon, has an elevation of 120 feet above the level of the sea, and commands beautiful views. The living is a vicarage, united to that of Beddingham, and valued in the king's books at £13. 9. 4½. The church is chiefly in the decorated English style, with a square embattled tower: on the north of the chancel is the sepulchral chapel of the Gage family. The poor law union comprises eight parishes, and contains a population of 2449.