FIRBY, a township, in the parish and union of Bedale, wapentake of Hang-East, N. riding of York, 1¼ mile from Bedale; containing 54 inhabitants. It is situated on the south side of the Bedale rivulet, and comprises 629a. 2r. 4p. Firby or Christ's hospital, founded in 1608 by John Clapham, for a master, six brethren, and 24 single men, of the parish of Bedale, stands near the village.