FIRBANK, anciently Frithbank, a chapelry, in the parish of Kirkby-Lonsdale, union of Kendal, Lonsdale ward, county of Westmorland, 10½ miles (N.) from Kirkby-Lonsdale; containing 199 inhabitants. The chapelry is bounded on the east by the river Lune, which separates it from Yorkshire; and comprises 3017 acres, of which 1200 are waste land or common: it is chiefly pasture. The Lancaster and Carlisle railway passes through a small portion. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £80, with a glebe-house; patron, the Vicar of Kirkby-Lonsdale, whose tithes have been commuted for 18s., and the impropriate for £24, payable to Trinity College, Cambridge. The chapel and burying-ground were on the edge of an extensive moor; but the chapel has been pulled down, and a new edifice erected in the vale, and a burial-place attached; the chapel is in the pointed style, and commands one of the most beautiful and extensive views in the neighbourhood. There is a day school.