FINSTHWAITE, a parochial chapelry, in the parish of Coulton, union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 8½ miles (N. E. by N.) from Ulverston. It is bounded on the north-east by the outlet of Windermere lake. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £76; patrons, the Landowners. The chapel, dedicated to St. Peter, was consecrated and made parochial in 1725; it has been enlarged, and 30 free sittings provided. There is a small endowment for a school, by James Dixon, in 1729.