Finningley (St. Oswald)
FINNINGLEY (St. Oswald), a parish, in the union of Doncaster, partly in the Hatfield division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, and partly in the soke of Doncaster, W. riding of York, 4 miles (N. by E.) from Bawtry; containing, with the townships of Aukley and Blaxton, 1209 inhabitants. The township of Finningley comprises by estimation 2340a. 2r. 25p.: the village is large, but irregularly built. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 4. 9½.; net income, £600; patron, J. Harvey, Esq. The waste lands of the parish were inclosed in 1774; and in 1778 an allotment was assigned to the rector in lieu of all tithes, except those of 300 acres having no common right, which have recently been commuted for a rent-charge of £44. 10. The church is an ancient structure, with a square embattled tower and a Norman porch. There is a chapel of ease at Aukley, erected by Mr. Harvey, T. W. Childers, Esq., and the Rev. G. H. Woodhouse. In the village is a place of worship for Wesleyans.