Fingall (St. Andrew)
FINGALL (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Leyburn, wapentake of Hang-West, N. riding of York; containing, with the townships of Akebar and Hutton-Hang, and the chapelry of Burton-Constable, 458 inhabitants, of whom 133 are in the township of Fingall, 6½ miles (W. N. W.) from Bedale. The parish comprises by computation 3835 acres, of which 1437 are arable, 1939 meadow and pasture, and 460 woodland; the surface is boldly undulated, and the village situated on a considerable eminence. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18. 18. 4.; net income, £342; patron, Marmaduke Wyvill, Esq. The tithes of Fingall township have been commuted for £76, and the glebe consists of 83 acres. The church is a small ancient structure, about half a mile from the village.