Finedon, or Thingdon (St. Mary)
FINEDON, or THINGDON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Wellingborough, hundred of Huxloe, N. division of the county of Northampton, 3 miles (N. E. by N.) from Wellingborough; containing 1378 inhabitants. The manor and principal part of the parish have belonged, for more than two centuries, to the Dolben family, whose ancestor, Sir Gilbert Dolben, son of an archbishop of York, was the first baronet. The parish is intersected by the road from Peterborough to Northampton, and consists of 3547a. 2r. 1p. The population, with the exception of a few employed in the making of shoes, and some females in the manufacture of lace, are engaged in agriculture. There are several quarries of stone, which is raised for building, burning into lime, and for the roads. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 17. 1.; net income, £843; patron, incumbent, and impropriator, the Rev. S. W. Paul. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1806; the land contains between 600 and 700 acres. The church is a large and handsome edifice, mostly in the decorated style; the tower, battlements, and spire, are fine specimens of later English architecture: the font is a large cubical mass of stone, with the angles sloped off, so as to make the upper face octagonal. Here are places of worship for the Society of Friends, Independents, and Wesleyans. Richard Walker in 1580 founded and endowed a school, the bequest to which now produces £60 per annum, for the instruction of boys; and there is an endowment in land, producing £50 for girls.