Finchingfield (St. John the Baptist)
FINCHINGFIELD (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Braintree, hundred of Hinckford, N. division of Essex, 5½ miles (E. by N.) from Thaxted; containing 2262 inhabitants. This extensive parish is bounded on the west by the river Pant; the surface is generally low, and the soil varies from a deep rich loam to light gravelly pasture-land bordering on the river. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £18; patron, the Rev. J. Stock; impropriator, R. Marriot, Esq.: the great tithes have been commuted for £1506. 5., and the vicarial for £733. 10.; the glebe comprises nearly 3 acres. The church, pleasantly situated on a hill, is a substantial edifice of stone, with a tower, formerly surmounted by a spire, which was blown down in 1702; the chancel contains two chapels, in which are some ancient and interesting monuments. A chapel has been erected at Cornish-Hall End, in the parish, the patronage of which is vested in the Bishop of London; it is dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, and the net income of the incumbent is £100. There is a place of worship for Independents. William Bendlowes, in 1576, founded an almshouse for four widows; and Ann Cole, in 1730, gave the fourth share of a farm now let for £60 per annum, for instructing and apprenticing children.